This year is a major anniversary year for the National Association for Pastoral Care in Education.
For 40 years NAPCE has been a meeting place for academics, researchers, writers, teachers, and people working in pastoral care who share our interest in pastoral care in education.
Several events are planned for the across the year to bring members of NAPCE and supporters of our work together to highlight the important contribution effective pastoral care can make to children and young peoples’ learning experience and preparation for their future lives.
These include a FREE online conference in June with the title, “How can effective pastoral care support learners and prepare them for their future roles in society?”.
This will take place over three days on Wednesday 15thJune, Thursday 16th June, and Friday 17th June.
Confirmed speakers include:-
- Professor Kaitlyn Mendes, from the University of Western Ontario, Canada, talking about ‘The school response to online sexual harassment and abuse”.
- Carl Elder, educational consultant, exploring ‘Developing effective supervision for safeguarding’.
- Les Walton MBE, Educationalist and author shares the presentation, ‘The rock and roll years for education and lessons for pastoral care”.
- Luke Ramsden, Senior Deputy Headteacher at St Benedict’s School in Ealing, London, talking about, “Using data to create a proactive pastoral strategy”.
- Nadine Huseyin, Family Support, Pastoral and Safeguarding lead at The Grove School in Tottenham, London, talking about “lessons for pastoral care in a special school”.
- Alex Kyriacou, Director of UOK Wellbeing with a presentation on “Wellbeing – Early intervention made easy”.
On the Thursday evening during the conference there will be a ‘Question Time’ where delegates will be given the opportunity to ask questions to an invited panel on the theme of “How can pastoral care and support in schools enable young people to achieve their full potential”.
Confirmed guests on the panel so far include.
- Maria O’Neil – Author and Educationalist
- Dr Noel Purdy – Stranmillis University College
- Dr Mark Diacopoulos, Assistant Professor, Pittsburg State University
For more details and to register for tickets follow the link.
In October there will be a two-day conference and this will include the 40th Anniversary Dinner with Les Walton OBE as the guest speaker who was one of the founders of the Association.
The title for the conference will be, “Is there a need for a new approach for pastoral care in education?”.
The first day of the conference on Friday 7th October will focus on research and policy making and the second day on Saturday 8th October will focus on good practice in pastoral care.
A special edition of the NAPCE academic journal published by Taylor and Francis will explore the priorities for pastoral care in the future in preparation for the conference and NAPCE will also publish a book looking at the future of pastoral care, following the conference.
The conference will take place at Worcestershire County Cricket Ground in Worcester, offering stunning views of the Worcester Cathedral.
Confirmed Speakers include,
- Daniel Sobel, author, educationalist, and CEO of ‘Inclusive Expert’
- Ron Skelton, CEO and Headteacher of Broadway School in Birmingham
- Professor Helen Cowie, University of Surrey
Tickets and more details about the programme will be available soon. Follow NAPCE on Twitter @NAPCE1 or the NAPCE Eventbrite page at https://napce-june-conference-22.eventbrite.co.uk for the latest news and information.